The lifeblood of a company is its customers. Without them you would not and could not stay in business. By making sure that you are satisfying your customers needs and keeping them happy, they will not only help you to grow but most likely recommend you to friends and associates. The best way to get new customers is by word of mouth from a trusted source. What this means is that the customer service department is one of the most important positions in the company, especially in a call center as they represent the outward voice of the company to the customer.
Datavo has come up with 5 easy steps to provide better customer service:
1. Make sure to always keep your cool when a customer is upset. They are usually not specifically mad at you but the situation that happened, so do not take things personally. To them at that moment, you are the company not an individual.
2. Let the customer vent. Most likely once they have gotten their anger out they can be reasoned with, especially if your come across as empathetic to their needs.
3. Keep a friendly tone of voice. People can tell when you are upset or happy by the inflection in your voice. If a customer feels you are angry or annoyed it can escalate a situation that would have never happened if the same sentence was say with a smile.
4. Always take the high ground. Never argue with the customer. Always try to diffuse the situation instead of escalating it. For example, if a customer is so irate you cannot help them, you can say "I am so sorry that you are upset, sir/ma'am. I am not able to help you when I cannot understand you. It maybe best if we end this conversation now. When you calm down, give me a call back and I will be more than happy to help you with your issue."
5. Be empathetic and show your human side. Gently let them know you understand their frustration but you need to calm down so that you are able to better understand what their problem is.
We are all human and situations can escalate quickly when we feel like someone is attacking us. Using patience and understanding is much more difficult than just firing back a retaliation. But it is essential that a call center representative do just that. Doing these things will help to resolve your customers problems efficiently and effectively while at the same time promoting your company's reputation.