Thursday, August 30, 2012
9 Tips to Effective Time Management
Are you habitually late or extremely punctual? Are you able to effectively complete your work on time? Do you manage your time efficiently? Can your boss count on you to meet your deadlines?
Datavo knows a lot of you answered no to some of these questions, so I put a short list of tips together to help you manage your time a little easier.
1. Keep a calendar. Using a calendar is the most essential step to time management. I like to use Google Calendar as it allows integration with my mobile phone and other devices so that I can always access my calendar on the go.
2. Create a daily agenda. Your day will run smoother if it is planned. You can do this at the end of each work day or in the morning before you start any of your tasks. Make a list and try to stick to it.
3. Always complete your most important tasks first. Prioritize your tasks on your agenda by importance because things come up and you can't always get everything done. If you will feel less anxious at the end of the day if you know you got your priorities taken care of.
4. Place a time limit for each daily task. Next to each task on your list right a time limit for how long it will take or what time of the day you would like to be finished. This will keep your day running smoother and keep you from dragging your feet as you complete your work.
5. Meet your deadlines. Always make sure you know and meet all of your deadlines. Make sure to add them to your calendar and so you are always aware of when they are due.
6. Keep focused. Multi-tasking is only good for some people. Most people get things done faster by focusing on one thing at a time. Keeping to the task at hand will make you more efficient. Try to block out any distractions such as your phone ringing, emails, and text messages so that you can concentrate.
7. Set a schedule to check your email. It can be time consuming to check your email every time you receive one. Don't take more than a day to answer anything, but you don't drop everything you're doing immediately.
8. Leave a few minutes in between tasks. Don't schedule your tasks too closely together. Make sure to leave 5-10 minutes between each task just in case you run over. This will help you start your next task without being rushed.
9. Clear off your desk and make your work area clean. Having a work space that is cluttered and unorganized can clutter you mind and make you work at a slower pace. Also it makes things difficult to find which will also add more time to your day.
If you have any other tips that may help people, feel free to leave them in the comments section!